Social media has become an integral part of marketing for businesses and brands. Visually appealing and optimized images are key to standing out on social platforms. Each social network has specific image size requirements for posts to look their best.
This article will provide an updated social media image size cheat sheet for 2023. Knowing the right sizes will help you create on-brand, high-quality images that engage your followers.
Why Image Size Matters on Social Media
Image sizes on social media are optimized for different purposes. Profile pictures, cover photos, ad images, link previews, and posts all have ideal specifications.
Here’s why it pays to follow the recommendations:
- Appearance – Images sized properly will fill the frames and layouts on each platform. Odd sizes look unprofessional.
- Visibility – Images cropped or sized incorrectly may get cut off in the feed. You want followers to see the whole picture.
- Engagement – Photos and graphics sized for each network drive more likes, shares, and clicks.
- Branding – Consistent image sizes reinforce your visual brand identity across social profiles.
In summary, adequately sized images increase visibility, engagement, and click-through rates. They also make you look polished and professional, which builds your brand on social media.
Image Size Specifications for Major Social Networks
To help you get started, here are the latest ideal image dimensions for the top social platforms in 2023:
- Profile Picture: 170 x 170 pixels
- Cover Photo: 820 x 312 pixels
- Facebook Post: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Link Preview Image: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Ad Image: 1200 x 628 pixels (1:1 – 1:2 aspect ratio recommended)
- Profile Picture: 110 x 110 pixels
- Post Image: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Story Image: 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Ad Image: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Personal Profile Photo: 400 x 400 pixels
- Personal Cover Photo: 1584 x 396 pixels
- Shared Image Post: 549 x 549 pixels
- Sponsored Content: 1200 x 627 pixels
- Profile Photo: 400 x 400 pixels
- Header Photo: 1500 x 500 pixels
- In-feed Photo: 2048 x 2048 pixels (up to 5MB)
- Link Preview Image: 300 x 157 pixels
- Channel Profile Picture: 800 x 800 pixels
- Channel Cover Art: 2560 x 1440 pixels
- Thumbnails: 1280 x 720 pixels (16:9 ratio)
- Teaser Images: 1280 x 720 pixels
- Profile Picture: 165 x 165 pixels
- Board Cover Image: 222 x 150 pixels
- Pin Image: 1000 x 1500 pixels
How to Create Optimized Social Media Images
Follow these tips when designing images for your social media channels:
- Use the exact recommended resolutions when possible. Images will fill frames appropriately.
- Save images at 72 PPI resolution for the web. Higher resolutions create larger file sizes.
- Use high-quality JPG or PNG files. JPEG is great for photos, PNG for logos, and flat graphics.
- Adjust the aspect ratio if an image gets cropped. Add spacing or borders if needed.
- Maintain image quality and avoid excessive compression. Images should be crisp and clear.
- Be consistent with filters and editing styles. It strengthens branding across networks.
- Include text and logos with safe margins if an image gets cropped. Avoid edge areas.
- Test images by uploading them and checking their appearance. Preview on both desktop and mobile.
Following these best practices for social media images will help you stand out and engage your followers on all platforms.
Social Media Image Sizes Cheat Sheet
To summarize, here is a handy cheat sheet of ideal social media image sizes to pin for reference in 2023:
|Platform||Profile Photo||Cover Photo||Post / Ad Image|
You’ll create a polished, professional brand presence that engages your followers by properly sizing and optimizing your images for each social platform.
Social media moves fast, so revisit this guide yearly and update images as needed. Proper sizing will ensure you make the best visual impact on all your social profiles in 2023 and beyond.
Optimizing social media images is crucial for visual branding and engagement in 2023. Use this updated guide on proper sizing across all major platforms. Well-sized images elevate your social presence to be professional, consistent, and effective at reaching your audience.