Social media has become an integral part of our lives. Almost everyone uses social platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and more to get entertainment and grow their businesses.
With so many users, social media has become a powerful marketing channel for brands and businesses. But to truly capitalize on social media marketing, you must use the right content type.
In this post, we’ll explore the top 12 types of social media content you can create and some examples of each.
Social Media Content Types
Here are 12 of the most popular and effective types of content you can create for social media:
1. Blog Posts
Blog posts are one of the most versatile content formats. From quick tips to in-depth guides, blog posts allow you to create long-form, educational content. You can share your blog posts on social media to drive traffic to your website. For example:
- Tutorials that teach a skill (e.g., how to use software)
- List posts like this one
- Case studies demonstrating results
- Industry research and insights
Infographics simplify complex information into an easy-to-understand visual format. They combine data, facts, and graphics to tell a story. Infographics tend to get high engagement on visual platforms like Instagram and Facebook. For example:
- Statistical trends in an industry
- Comparison between products/companies
- Process flows and guides
- Data from surveys and research
Both live and recorded videos can help you connect with your audience. You can create exciting video content, including:
- Product demos
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- Expert interviews
- Live streaming (Q&As, events, tutorials, etc.)
- Animated explainer videos
Visual content gets more engagement on social media compared to text-heavy posts. Use striking images to grab attention and convey emotions. For example:
- Product photos and collections.
- Infographics and charts.
- Pictures from events or company culture.
- User-generated content like customer photos.
- Memes and quotes.
Social media stories allow you to post photos and short videos that disappear after 24 hours. You can use stories to:
- Give followers a behind-the-scenes look at your brand.
- Run polls, quizzes, and other interactive content.
- Announce sales, deals, and offers.
- Showcase employees and company culture.
6. Live Video
Live video is popular on platforms like Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook. Broadcasting live gives followers a chance to interact with you in real time. Go live to:
- Make important announcements.
- Host Q&A sessions.
- Share from events.
- Spotlight employees.
- Run an interactive class or tutorial.
7. AR Filters/Lenses
Apps like Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook allow you to create custom filters and AR lenses that overlay effects and objects onto someone’s face or environment. Brands can use sponsored lenses and filters to:
- Increase brand awareness in a fun way.
- Let users virtually try on products (makeup, clothes, glasses, etc.)
- Promote new product launches.
8. Social Media Contests
Contests are a great way to engage your audience. Some popular social media contest ideas include:
- Photo contests (user-generated content)
- Caption contests
- Giveaways (“like and share to win”)
- Quizzes and trivia
- Hashtag contests to promote UGC
Carousels are posts that include multiple images and videos that users can horizontally scroll through. Carousels stand out in feeds and can showcase:
- Product collections
- Different features/uses of a product
- Multiple graphics, quotes, or animations
- Photo stories
Interactive social media content like online quizzes can help boost engagement. You can create fun quizzes like:
- “Which [brand] product are you?”
- Quizzes about your industry or niche
- “What does your taste say about you?”
- Personality tests
11. User-Generated Content
User-generated content (UGC), like customer photos and videos, can help authentically showcase your brand. Make sure to ask for consent before reposting UGC. Some examples of UGC include:
- Customers post about using your product.
- Customers show how they customized/styled a product
- Photos of customers at your event or pop-up
- Customer reviews and testimonials
12. Podcast Previews
Share short, engaging audio clips from your podcast episodes to promote your podcast and direct listeners to the full episode. Platforms like Twitter and Facebook allow you to include audio clips in posts.
Tips for Optimizing Your Social Content
Now that we’ve covered the top 12 types of social media content, here are some tips for optimizing your content:
- Know your audience – Tailor content to your followers’ interests
- Leverage trends – Use trending audio, AR effects, hashtags, etc. when relevant
- Keep it visual – Photos and videos boost engagement.
- Use captions – Add text so content stands out in mute browsers.
- Mix it up – Publish various content types to keep followers interested.
- Watch the analytics – See which posts resonate and do more of that
- Be consistent – Post consistently to stay on top of your mind.
Put These Social Media Content Ideas Into Action
There you have it – a complete overview of the top types of social media content you should create as part of your marketing strategy.
Take inspiration from the examples and optimize your content for your brand’s unique audience. You can build engagement, traffic, and loyalty with consistent, varied content across social platforms.
Social media content creation may seem overwhelming, but sticking to proven formats is a great place to start. Experiment with different content types and see what resonates most with your followers.
The more value you provide, your social media presence will grow. You can achieve your brand’s social media marketing goals with a strategic, multi-format approach.